Delicate and delicious, green peas are one of our favorite legumes and are packed with nutritious vitamins and minerals as well as a fair amount of fiber and antioxidants. Peas peak in the spring season and are easy to dress up with some effortless, yummy ingredients. Find out for yourself with this simple green pea salad recipe. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place the hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast for 15 minutes, then let the nuts cool. Once cooled, rub the skins off of the nuts (the skin is bitter and will affect the flavor outcome).
- While the roasted hazelnuts cool, make the vinaigrette. Whisk O Champagne Vinegar, O Meyer Lemon Olive Oil, lemon zest, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Taste test to be sure it’s seasoned to your liking regarding the salt and pepper.
- Place the cooled and skinned hazelnuts in a small non-stick saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat and stir constantly. Continue stirring for about 2 minutes. Then, remove the nuts from the pan and spread onto a sheet of parchment paper to cool.
- Place a steamer basket into a medium saucepan filled with about 2 inches of water. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Rinse the peas and then place them into the steamer basket, and reduce heat to medium. Cover and steam the peas for 5 minutes, until they are tender.
- Remove the peas from the pan and place them in a medium mixing bowl. Add the minced shallots, salt and pepper, and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette into the mixture and toss to coat. Top with goat cheese, hazelnuts and minced mint leaves. Serve immediately.
Tip: If you have a green thumb or want to give gardening a try, consider growing mint at home as it’s a fairly friendly herb to care for. Mint can even grow in a pot indoors on the windowsill or countertop. There’s nothing quite like having homegrown herbs for freshness and convenience when cooking. Plus, it’ll give your kitchen a fresh scent!