Asparagus is an elegant yet approachable vegetable that we love for its versatility. While it’s available year-round, asparagus shines while in-season from February to June. As the weather warms up, we love to serve this cool asparagus salad which is great as an appetizer or served as a side dish.
- Rinse asparagus and trim the tough ends of the stems.
- Hold each spear of asparagus by its thick stem and lay it down on a cutting board. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus into long ribbons. Place ribbons in a large bowl and discard remaining stems. (Note: You should be left with about 1 lb of shaved asparagus.) Drizzle the O Meyer Lemon Olive Oil over the shaved asparagus ribbons and toss to coat.
- Add onion, cannellini beans, and O Citrus Champagne Vinegar. Toss to combine all ingredients.
- Fold in walnuts, cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- The shaved asparagus salad can be served immediately or prepared in advance. If preparing in advance, chill the compiled dish, covered, for 4 to 6 hours in the refrigerator.
Tip: Snapping the stems of asparagus at their natural breaking point can actually result in excess food waste. Instead, we recommend trimming just the tough ends of the stems so that you have more asparagus to enjoy.