O Jalapeño Garlic Olive Oil
Smooth, creamy hummus is one of our go-to guilty pleasures. Good news — hummus is surprisingly easy to make from scratch and is an excellent source of plant-based protein and fiber (thanks to the power of chickpeas!). We like to kick it up a notch with O Jalapeño Garlic Olive Oil to give it the perfect amount of spice and garlic goodness.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini
- ½ of a large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp O Jalapeño Garlic Olive Oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2–3 tbsp water, as needed
- Paprika to sprinkle
- In a food processor, combine tahini and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides and process another 30 seconds.
- Add O Jalapeño Garlic Olive Oil, garlic, cumin and salt. Process 30 seconds. Scrape the sides and process another 30 seconds.
- Add ½ can of drained chickpeas and process 1 minute. Add remaining chickpeas and process 1-2 minutes more. If too thick, add water a little at a time and continue to process to the desired consistency.
- Place the hummus in a serving dish. Using a spoon, create a shallow depression in the hummus and drizzle O Jalapeño Garlic Olive Oil into it. Sprinkle with paprika and serve with fresh veggie sticks, whole-grain pita bread or pita chips for dipping.
Why make hummus at home when the local convenience store offers grab-and-go containers? Many store-bought items, including hummus, contain more sodium, preservatives and additives than a homemade alternative. Homemade hummus is quite simple and quick, so it’s worth the minimal effort. We also feel that the flavors of the lemon, garlic and oil seem more fresh when made from scratch. Yum!