O Fresh Basil Olive Oil
O California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Asparagus is an elegant yet approachable vegetable that we love for its versatility, flavor and health benefits. Fiber, vitamins and minerals — O my! One of our favorite ways to prepare asparagus is actually to purée it along with a few key ingredients to make a chilled asparagus soup. There’s no cream involved, yet the outcome is surprisingly smooth and velvety. Nutritious, light and flavorful. A refreshing and healthy treat on a warm spring or summer day.
- To prepare the asparagus, first trim and discard the rough ends of the stems. Then, trim the feathery tips but reserve and set these aside. Cut the remaining stalks crosswise in 1 inch pieces.
- In a small saucepan cook asparagus tips in water, uncovered, over high heat for about 3 minutes or until they are crisp and tender. Set aside a small handful of asparagus tips to use later for garnish, if desired. Transfer asparagus tips with a slotted spoon to a colander and rinse under cold water. Drain the tips well. Reserve the cooking liquid.
- In a 4-quart heavy saucepan, cook onions in O California Extra Virgin Olive Oil over moderate heat, stirring until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add asparagus stalk pieces, broth and reserved cooking liquid and simmer covered for about 15 minutes.
- Next, purée ingredients in a blender in small batches and place in a large glass bowl. Adjust salt and pepper if desired. Stir and chill.
- When ready to serve, ladle soup into bowls and add reserved asparagus tips as garnish if desired. Drizzle each bowl with O Fresh Basil Olive Oil and serve.
While asparagus’ peak season is in spring, it’s widely available year-round. For ultimate freshness, select bunches that are firm, straight, bright green and have tips that are tight and in-tact. Enjoy!