Chimichurri, an essential element of Argentinian cuisine, is the ultimate accompaniment to a perfectly grilled steak. Aromatic herbs, savory spices and garlic goodness come together to create a mouthwatering swirl of flavor. We love to make ours with O Roasted Garlic Olive Oil and O Sherry Vinegar. Simple and O so delish! Prepare the chimichurri sauce in advance and let the flavors marinate together, then fire up the grill and indulge!
For the chimichurri:
- In a food processor or blender combine all of the chimichurri ingredients listed above and blend until relatively smooth, or until the preferred texture is achieved. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the sauce to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day to allow the flavors to meld.
- Before serving, stir and season as needed. The chimichurri will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
For the steak:
- Prepare the steak using a meat tenderizing knife (or ask the butcher to do so upon purchase), then pat to dry.
- Season raw meat with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place meat on the grill and cook it at high heat for about 3-4 minutes on the first side, then just 2-4 minutes on the second side for a nice medium rare.
- Remove steak from the grill and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Slice the steak against the grain and serve with a spoonful (or more) of chimichurri sauce. Enjoy!
Tip: While chimichurri is quite the companion to various cuts of beef, this savory sauce is also exquisite on smoky grilled chicken or fish. We chose flank steak for this recipe because we love that’s it’s flavorful, versatile and affordable which makes it one of the most popular options for grilling.